Related Entries

Fairvue Plantation

Main house at Fairvue Plantation in Sumner County.

Fairvue was the home of Isaac Franklin and his young bride, Adelicia Hayes Franklin. Built in 1832, the property is a National Historic Landmark. The house has identical facades facing east and west situated at a ninety-degree angle to the Nashville-Gallatin Turnpike, in which Franklin was an original stockholder. The four-over-four-room house has a central hall and double portico in the Ionic style. A finished third floor attic extends the length of the house. Elliptical fan windows over the doors reflect some of the many Federal construction details. In 1839, the year the Franklins married, a south wing consisting of seven rooms was added to the original structure. On the opposite side of the house, an octagonal brick wall enclosed a garden with an ice house in the center. Fairvue was a 2000-acre working plantation devoted to cattle and thoroughbred horses. It included extensive stables and a training track. Brick slave quarters, an overseer's house, and blacksmith shop still remain.

In 1846 Isaac Franklin died. His will set up trusts for his children and provided for his wife until her remarriage, at which time Fairvue would become a private school, endowed by his vast Louisiana holdings. In 1849, after marrying Joseph Acklen, Adelicia Franklin Acklen contested the will before the Louisiana Supreme Court, which declared it void and of no force. Without funding, the school never formed, and the house remained vacant during the Civil War.

In 1869 Adelicia Acklen purchased the property from John Armfield, the executor of Franklin's estate. In 1882 she sold the property to Charles Reed of New York. Reed spent two hundred thousand dollars restoring Fairvue as a fine home and horse-breeding establishment. By 1897 Fairvue had approximately 150 brood mares. Reed sold the property in 1908, and Fairvue had a succession of owners until 1929. Two weeks before the stock market crash, the Sumner County Land Company, a division of Southland Grasslands Hunt and Racing Foundation, purchased Fairvue and eighty other farms to build a fox hunting and steeplechase course. The project was ill timed, and the new owners declared bankruptcy in 1932. William Hatch Wemyss, a cofounder of Jarman Shoe Company, saved Fairvue when he purchased the property in 1934. In 1939 Wemyss married Ellen Stokes Moore, and she began the restoration of Fairvue.

In 1956, 320 acres of Fairvue Farms were flooded by Old Hickory Dam, leaving the house on a peninsula. In 1999-2000 developers acquired the remaining property and announced that a luxury lakefront community, complete with a golf course and other amenities, would replace most of the plantation's landscape and that Fairvue would be transformed from a private residence to a clubhouse for the development. Construction of roads and the selling of house sites were underway in 2000.

Published » December 25, 2009 | Last Updated » January 01, 2010