Entries that Begin with L
- Lynch, Matthew Simpson
- Labor organizer, lobbyist, and administrator Matthew S. Lynch was the grandson of an organizer of New England shoe workers. Lynch began working in a Chattanooga hosiery mill and joined his first union... continue »
- One of many expressions of violence directed mostly towards African Americans following Reconstruction and lasting well into the twentieth century was lynching. According to one set of statistics, lyn... continue »
- Lyndhurst Foundation
- The Chattanooga-based Lyndhurst Foundation was organized in 1978 by Coca-Cola Bottling heir John T. (Jack) Lupton II and family following the death of his parents, Thomas Cartter Lupton and Margaret R... continue »
- Lynk, Miles Vanderhorst
- Physician, journalist, and educator Myles Lynk was born in Brownsville on June 3, 1871, the son of former slaves. His father was killed when Lynk was only six years old, and he was running the farm by... continue »
- Lynn, Loretta
- Influential female country music performer and songwriter and member of the Country Music Hall of Fame Loretta Lynn was born in Johnson County, Kentucky, in 1935. She married Oliver V. “Mooney&r... continue »
- Lytle, Andrew Nelson
- Andrew Nelson Lytle, writer, editor, critic, and teacher, was born the day after Christmas, 1902--like a "wet fire-cracker," his grandmother remarked. He would spend nearly the rest of the c... continue »
Text copyright 1998 by the Tennessee Historical Society, Nashville, Tennessee.
Online Edition © 2002 ~ 2017, The University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, Tennessee. All Rights Reserved.
Powererd by eCMS from R.Squared Communications