Beechlawn, on Pulaski Pike (U.S. 31) south of Columbia, is one of southern Middle Tennessee’s most imposing Greek Revival homes, distinguished by a full-temple front supported by four monumental Ionic columns. The house was built in 1853 for Major A. W. Warfield and takes its name from the grove of enormous beech trees that surrounds it. Warfield, a native of Maryland, moved to Maury County in 1852 and soon began construction of the home. During the Civil War the home was headquarters for Union General John M. Schofield in 1864 during his retreat before the advancing army of Confederate General John B. Hood and afterwards served as Hood’s own headquarters. Beechlawn’s gardens were established by Mrs. Warfield when the house was built; the boxwoods, brought from Virginia, have grown to enormous size.
Beechlawn Randal Rust 2018-03-01T20:02:09+00:00