Episcopal Bishop Charles T. Quintard was born at Stamford, Connecticut, the son of Isaac Quintard and Clarissa Hoyt. In 1847 he received his M.D. degree from University Medical College, New York University, and worked for a year at Bellevue Hospital. About a year later, he moved to Athens, Georgia, and practiced medicine there. In 1851 Quintard became professor of physiology and pathological anatomy at the Memphis Medical College and one of the editors of the Memphis Medical Reporter. While in Memphis, Quintard studied for the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal Church under Bishop James Otey and was ordained deacon on January 1, 1855, and priest on January 6, 1856. He was rector of the Church of the Advent, Nashville, until he was consecrated the second Bishop of Tennessee on October 11, 1865. He served in that position until his death in 1898.
During the Civil War, Quintard was a chaplain for the Confederate army. He also worked as a surgeon. As bishop he was instrumental in the revival of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Tennessee and extended its ministry to blacks. He was deeply interested in education and supported the founding of a number of preparatory schools. His greatest contribution to education was in rebuilding the University of the South after the devastation of the Civil War; he served as the first vice-chancellor of the University, February 14, 1867-July 12, 1872. Quintard made several trips to England to raise money for the University.
In 1848 Quintard married Katherine Isabella Hand of Roswell, Georgia, and they had three children.